06 November 2006

Academy As Obsession

N. Pepperell, over at Roughtheory, has written a nice response to my blog "I See Dead People", raising similar concerns about the academic machine. I have to confess that I was a bit disappointed this particular post didn't get more responses as I saw it as a bit of a provocation to the "Sunday afternoon radicals" (including myself). Ah well, perhaps there's nothing to be said. Yet I do wonder how the obsessional nature of the academic machine might be reconfigured to challenge this phenomenon. It looks like I'll need to spend more time reading Roughtheory?

On an unrelated note, she mentions that she didn't think my blog was being updated as new posts wouldn't show up when she visited my blog. This is the second time I've heard this, which I find disturbing as I post new blogs almost daily. Is this a problem that others are experiencing as well? More importantly, does anyone know what might be causing this problem? I'm experiencing all sorts of problems with blogger. For instance, my post on the future anterior has mysteriously disappeared from the blog without me deleting it. Frustrating.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I also had that problem of not seeing the new posts.. After entering the site, I sometimes have to click refresh button or (ctrl + R or ctrl + F5); then the recent posts appear..

November 06, 2006 11:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It'll be some kind of caching problem, I suppose, given that a more fundamental refresh causes the problem. Given that the page froze, for me, at the moment when I made a post (which is amusing, in its own way...), I'm guessing my browser (Firefox) just decided that was the definitive moment for Larval Subjects... ;-) I don't post at blogger sites often enough to know whether this is common, or whether there's anything you can do about it from your end - individual users can force a refresh by holding the shift button down while they click refresh.

In terms of your missing post: depending on how often Google caches your site, you may be able to retrieve the post from Google's archive: do an advanced search, which will allow you to restrict results to this site, and then click on the link for cached results...

If blogger becomes too frustrating, there are other places to move. I personally host a WordPress blog, but that's on my own domain - I'm sure some of your other readers must have experience with more turnkey blog hosting options...

It's too early here to think about your substantive question :-) And, besides, I think you've suggested it can be politically meaningful to be... fashionably late...

November 06, 2006 11:58 AM  
Blogger Sinthome said...

Thanks, tolga, Anthony, and N.Pepperall... I seem to have solved the problem. Blogger can be a pain.

November 06, 2006 11:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home