25 August 2006

Thoburn-- Deleuze, Marx, and Politics

Eric, over at I Cite, has directed me to Thoburn's Deleuze, Marx, and Politics as presenting a viable picture of Deleuze's political thought. While I've drawn a good deal of inspiration from Deleuze as a thinker of complex dynamical systems or dynamic evolving stability, I've been less enthusiastic about his political thought, or even whether one can draw a coherent political project from his work with Guattari. It was this dissatisfaction that led me to thinkers such as Badiou and Ranciere. Simply put, unbridled creation and unlimited desiring-machines do not a politics make. While such may be appealing to the hipsters, there is little concrete that can be drawn from such premises. But perhaps I'm mistaken and have rashly rejected Deleuze's work with Guattari out of sour grapes that they authorized an entire generation of cultural studies theorists to reject psychoanalysis in an uninformed and knee-jerk fashion. Over the next few weeks I plan to go through Thoburn's work to see if this is the case.

3 Comments:

Blogger Sinthome said...

The link to this appears to be broken. Is anyone else having trouble linking?

August 26, 2006 7:35 AM  
Blogger N. said...

The link isn't working for me either, but that site has been doing some renovations lately. That page in particular I've noticed has been down a number of times over the past few weeks. (I've been intending on reading through Thoburn too.)

August 26, 2006 12:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It appears to be working now, late Sunday night. It seems the renovations might be done for now.

August 27, 2006 10:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home